Homemade from Scratch Pesto Mozzarella Braids!
I was browsing youtube like I so frequently do, to look for recipes and I love the channel Baking with Mi! She has some amazing recipes that are so freaking delicious! I have made two of them so far. They have turned out fantastic! I want to make her Vanilla Sponge Roll Cake too!
Well, today I made her Best Bakery Style Spring Onion Rolls and well I changed it up a bit. I did the dough exactly as she describes doing it. I wouldn’t change a thing, other than a little less sugar.
Well, I would change one thing. I’d make more, by making smaller balls, maybe 60 dough balls instead of 30. The reason I say that, is because they rose so beautifully and huge! I just thought one was too much. Now, you can make the just like I did. but it’s a lot of flour! LOL, You know me!
The original recipe called for onions, but I took about a tsp of pesto and about a 1/3 c of mozzarella. I honestly didn’t measure that part. You don’t have to put anything inside of them. But get creative and come up with something amazing!
So, you’re here for the recipe right? I’ll give it to ya! 🙂
- 2 cup+ 2 tbsp Bread flour
- 1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cupMilk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Warm Water
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- approx 1.5 large beaten Egg
- 5 tbsp Softened Butter
- Start by making the sponge dough.
- Place the yeast, water and sugar in a small dish to let it activate.
- Add bread flour to mixing bowl.
- Once yeast mixture has activated add the milk and yeast mixture to the flour.
- Stir on mix setting on your stand mixer using dough hook for about 5 minutes or until the dough forms.
- Next let the dough rise in the bowl for 1 - 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Next add the 1 cup bread flour, sugar, and eggs.
- Mix on number 2 setting for about 5 minutes.
- Then turn it up to setting 4 and mix another 3 - 4 minutes until the dough pulls away from sides and there is no sitting flour, and dough is springy to the touch.
- Next, add room temperature butter
- Let dough rise again for about 50 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Take dough out and knead it, using just a little bit of Flour (dough will be sticky, otherwise)! Just a little bit of kneading to get the air bubbles out.
- Make 30 balls weighing 25 grams each.
- Roll the balls long so you can fill it and roll it up.
- I used butter, mozzarella and garlic. Just mixed a little up without measuring.
- Put filling in each one, just a small amount. It doesn’t take much.
- Roll up the dough and braid them. You’ll make 10 braids.
- Place in warm spot to let rise one final time for about 45 minutes or until they double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush with an egg wash and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden and delicious.